Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Birth of Yet Another Twenty-Something Rambling

Okay, so I was sitting here at my desk, thinking about how I wished I remembered which exact day it was that I noticed one of my status checkers changing, and I realized that even if I was the ONLY one to read it, it might be helpful for me to start up a blog specifically about the law school application process and, hopefully, in the months and years to come (I've always been ambitious) about the process of actually being a law student.

Voila, the birth of this blog!

I'll post my comments, thoughts, ramblings, and updates about my quest for a law school that will take me, picking the right law school for me, any and all campus visits I go to, and eventually the process of getting ready to leave home and move away to start my dreaded 1L year.

A little about me: I graduated from a small liberal arts college in Central Ohio (there are a million there) in 2009 with a B.A. in Communications and a minor in Political Science. Since I was little everyone has told me I should definitely consider a career in law. Don't worry, that's not my only reason for going to law school. Since then, I've often found myself fascinated by the intellectually stimulating and often complex problems that the law examines, and as such, I've decided that, yes, this is actually the course I want to take in my life.

But, just to make sure, I took two years off of school between my undergrad and now and have been working at a law firm. When I first started at this firm, I worked in the transactional (mostly real estate) department. I moved from there into the bankruptcy department, moved from there into business litigation, and am currently back in the bankruptcy department. I like it here, the work is interesting but not that bad (at least, MY work), and it's an enjoyable place to be...as long as it's not permanent (thankfully, I know it's not).

Before working at the law firm, I was considering getting my masters in communication, something my friends in law school advocated passionately as a much better alternative to law school. I worked in the communication (graphic and development) field for about 9 months, and I was good at it, but ultimately would find this crazy path I'm setting down to be more rewarding.

So, after much consideration, and one retake of the LSAT, I decided it was time to get all of my applications out. Most law schools have priority deadlines in mid-February, regular deadlines in April. I, however, am what is known as a splitter: my LSAT is often at or above the 75th% of my target schools, while my GPA is at or below the 25th% -- I had a LOT of fun in college. As a splitter, my chances for admission are increased the earlier I apply. So 90% of my applications were in at the schools I've chosen to apply to by the middle of November.

Hopefully this means adcomms (admission committees) can overlook my dismal LSDAS GPA.

The process of picking which schools to apply to can be daunting and difficult, but I'll discuss how I came to my conclusions in my next blog.

If you want more solid information (from the intrawebz) about law schools and the process of applying, check out these sites that I've found helpful, even if they do tend to feed my neurotic and obsessive tendencies: Top Law Schools (TLS), Law School Numbers (LSN), and Law School Predictor (LSP).

No comments:

Post a Comment