Monday, March 7, 2011

Scholarship Negotiation Request Email

Well, here it is: the final version of the email I sent requesting more scholarship money. From the forums on TLS it looks like they're flat out saying no to a majority of the people that has asked, so I'm not expecting anything. Which is a bummer.

Dear __________,

I was elated to hear of my acceptance to the 2011 entering class at ____________ with a renewable scholarship of $________ per year. I would like to start by thanking you for this great honor!

While the scholarship offer extended to me from _____________ is extremely generous, not to mention helpful in lessening the financial burden attending law school will create, I have received another offer of admission from _________________ for $_________ per year, renewable as long as I remain in good standing. Although ___________'s location in northern California, along with its reputation for a strong commitment to ethics and social justice and beautiful campus, has made it a long-standing dream of mine to attend, I find that a better offer from a higher-ranked school in an area with a lower cost of living is very difficult to logically turn down.

In light of my strong admission profile, profound desire to attend, and scholarship offers from other schools, I am writing to respectfully request your consideration for additional renewable scholarship dollars. If there was any way that the cost of attending ______________ could be lowered, it would certainly become my top choice.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review and consider my request.I look forward to your response with great anticipation. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Twentysomethinglaw
LXXXXXXXX

3 comments:

  1. Did this letter get you any scholarship money in return? If so, where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say honestly that it's been a few years, so I can't really remember. I know a few schools did return emails with increased tuition, but the school I ultimately ended up at (SMU) definitely didn't. That being said, the most important thing to me were the stipulations, and SMUs offer had no stipulations other than good standing, whereas a majority of other schools require you to stay in the top XX% to retain the scholarship. I know that Whittier increased the aid amount and so did another school in San Diego...but I can't remember more than that. Sorry!

      Delete
  2. There are some fascinating points in time in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There’s some validity but I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as nicely Law tutor

    ReplyDelete