Monday, July 11, 2011

0L Prep: Taking Care of (Your Body's) Business

Over the last week, I've started really getting into the swing of the whole "I"m moving to Dallas and going to law school in less than a month" thing. I've started actively packing up my room, and I'm slowly but surely checking things off of my to-do list. 

One thing that I can count as checked off as of today? Getting my health care stuff in order. You see, any law school that you attend is going to want to have a health questionnaire filled out by your doctor. But you should also take this opportunity to make sure that you are in tip-top shape before you leave the comfort of home and your family doctor.

You should review all of your immunization and booster records to make sure that you're not due for something important. All educational institutions require that you have your MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) vaccines. Most people get them as kids...I got mine when I was about a year old.

Tetanus boosters should be given once every ten years, so if you haven't had one since junior high you'll want to get that taken care of . The tetanus booster is often administered in conjunction with the vaccines for pertussis (whooping cough) and diptheria, all together called a PDT or TdaP vaccine. I got mine last Thursday, and I'm no wimp, but BOY was my arm sore! For three or four days!

You'll also want to make sure that you're immune to Varicella (chicken pox) and Hep A and Hep B. Most colleges will have required you to get vaccinated against Meningitis, so odds are you've had that done in the past, but it doesn't hurt to take a look at your records just to make sure. 

Lastly, you will be required to show proof of a negative TB test. The test, known as a PPD skin test, is pretty simple -- they insert a small dose of tuberculin units into your forearm, and in two days you go back to have the test "read." They just check to make sure that you haven't had any sort of bad reaction to the injection, and that the bubble has receded. 

Another thing you should do is make sure that you get your "yearly" visits out of the way before you leave, so that you don't have to worry about scheduling them during the school year. Eye appointments, dental check ups, lady-parts visits, physicals -- they can all be taken care of in July and August.

If you have contacts or glasses, make sure that your prescription is valid for a whole year from the summer, that way if for some reason you do need to order new glasses or contacts you can do so without having to schedule another eye exam. I personally wear contacts, so I'm going to make sure I have no less than a six month supply before I leave.

It pays to make sure that you have all your ducks in a row, that way you aren't scrambling around like a crazy person once you make it to school and realize you only have a couple of days to get the different shots or inoculations before school starts. 

5 comments:

  1. I know this is bringing up a post from like April but I am getting ready to buy a macbook pro and I'm terrfied about losing oneNote : (. Have you been using growly notes lately? If so, how are you liking it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely been using growly notes, but not for anything as strenuous as outlining a class or something like that. Personally, I really like it, although it's not quite as user friendly as one note is.

    It's more difficult to print your outline because of the page sizes, so your words can get slightly cut off and run right up against the bottom of the page when you print. It's just a little thing, but I'm kind of OCD about stuff like that.

    And if you try to copy something to microsoft word once it's in outline (bullet) format, you lose a lot of your formatting, so you'll probably spend a significant amount of time trying to fix it -- if that's something that matters to you.

    All in all I'll say it's a fair substitute for one note. I'd much rather use a mac than a pc any day...for me they're easier to use, and much less likely to pick up a virus or something, not to mention the great customer service I always get from apple and the fact that hardly anything has gone wrong with my mac since I bought it in January of 2008. So the pros of the macbook would outweigh the cons of the small differences between one note and growly notes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea I agree with all you said about macs, thats why im switching! I was going to give my laptop to my brother when I switch but then I started thinking about losing oneNote and some other apps so im considering keeping both haha. But thanks for your input. The first thing im doing when I get my mac is checking out growly note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just talked with Growly Notes support and they said that the issue I mentioned about printing will be fixed with the next update, sometime next month. Once that's fixed I would say you probably won't even need OneNote!

    ReplyDelete