Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm a Big Girl Now, See My Big Girl Shoes...

(ah, I love Ingrid Michaelson).

A lot of people lived in their own apartments off-campus during undergrad. I'm not one of those people. Neither are 99% of the people I went to undergrad with. You see, Denison (my alma mater) is a 100% residential school, so everyone, except for students whose parents lived within 5 miles of campus, was required to live in the dorms. It was great, because you never really had to worry about anything, and you got to know everyone really well. It fostered a great sense of community.

It didn't foster the knowledge of how to set up all of the things you'll need to live on your own, however. So here I am, 24 and going into law school, and this is allllllllll new to me.

I've found an apartment okay, and signed my lease without any hitches. But now what do I do? Set up my utilities!

For those in my shoes, moving out on your own for the first time, I mean, you'll need to set up your utilities. Don't wait until you move in to get these things taken care of -- call a week or two ahead of time and have them switch over service on your move in date! It's easy to do, and that way you can make sure that you'll have lights/air conditioning/etc. on your move in day.

For my apartment building, the service providers were already decided, so I just had to call and transfer service into my name. I'm still deciding on my cable service (should I get it? Will it be a distraction? Can't I just watch Hulu Plus or Netflix online?), but for now my electricity and gas are both good to go. I'm not going to get a land line, and water and trash are both taken care of by my landlord.

It sure feels good to make those check marks on my to-do list! Soon my "to-done" list will be longer than my to-do list! Yayyyyyyy.

No comments:

Post a Comment