Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm Peeved

So, yesterday I took care of a bunch of health related stuff. Last step? Calling to waive SMU's health care option. I have my own health care, so I don't need to pay the extra $715 per semester for theirs, right?

WRONG.

I'm super peeved at my new educational institution right now, because apparently even if you have health insurance, people with HMOs instead of PPOs don't get the option of waiving the SMU coverage. What does that mean, exactly?

Well, to be a student at SMU you have to do two health related things. You have to pay your Student Health Center fees, which are built into your student fees. Every student has to do this. You don't have a choice. Those fees cover routine visits at the Health Center, as well as counseling services, etc. etc. So if you're going in because you've got strep throat, or something, that would be covered by the student fees you're paying.

The second thing you have to do is have health insurance/medical coverage. This is in case something a little more serious were to happen -- x-rays, ambulance rides, hospitalizations, etc. Now, if you have a PPO then you can waive SMU's health insurance, no problem, and you go on your merry way. But those of us with HMOs? Fuhggedaboudit.

We don't have the choice. We have to pay the extra $715 per semester. So then we are covered DOUBLE, and if we choose to use the SMU insurance to visit a local doctor for something we would have a $250 deductible! I don't have a deductible on my own health insurance! Why would I want to pay for insurance when I'm just going to have to pay a deductible if I really have no need to?

The answer is: I don't. I don't want to pay that extra $715 a semester. My budget is already going to be tight enough as it is. I don't want to pay for the health insurance PLUS the health fees, when the health fees in addition to my own personal insurance that I already have will pretty much take care of any situation that could possibly arise. But do I have a choice? NO. Which amounts to little more than thievery, in my book. I'm paying $1430 per year to get covered less comprehensively than I am without having to pay anything per year.

What part of that makes sense? No wonder I'm peeved.

1 comment:

  1. How do we waive the fee? I haven't seen any fees in my Access SMU

    ReplyDelete