Wednesday, May 4, 2011

0L Preparation: VACATION!

There are lots of types of 0L Prep that people can do in order to get a leg up on the competition before entering the hallowed halls of whatever law school you'll be going to. You can go to classes, start studying cases (which I don't advocate), watch a few documentaries or movies, and read a slew of books -- some are good, some are awful.

But one thing that is important and that everyone, be you straight from undergrad or a working professional, should do: RELAX!

Law school is going to be stressful, and 1L is going to be insane, especially around exam time. Why would you want to compound the stress you're going to be feeling in six months with the stress you're going to acquire over the summer if you study about law school every day? That's silly, and I doubt it's good for you. So, if you are at all able to, take some time off to focus on you. Get a massage, a mani/pedi, go to the driving range or the batting cages.

Better than those suggestions: take a trip somewhere fun. It doesn't have to be far away, but it should take you away from the stressors of your daily life. Personally, I think camping outdoors is more stressful than relaxing, but if that's your cup of tea, go for it! If you have the money to go backpacking through Europe, for the love of God do it!!! Such a great experience. I'm more of a beach girl, myself, when planning a quick getaway.

I will (probably) be taking a few vacations this summer, in order to make up for probably not being able to take a good vacation any time in the next three years. And guess what? My first one starts today! I won't be updating at all (I don't think) for the next week and half because one of my dear, dear friends from college (a Twenty-Something Nursing Student) is going to be flying from Boston to California to spend some time with me!

I want to relax while she's here (she's in dire need of some relaxation after a solid year of nursing school), so we're going to be spending most of our time at my family's beach condo, just laying out and relaxing.

Our plans include: going to the Getty, lunch in Santa Barbara (maybe I'll take her to my old work place to meet some of my friends), shopping at the outlets, SERIOUS beach time, maybe a side trip to Hearst Castle, wine tasting in Paso Robles (it's no Napa, but I'm not driving the 6.5 hours up there for just one day), and then relaxing pool side at my house without going in to work. We'll probably squeeze in a day for Disneyland (she's never been!) and dinner at Medieval Times somewhere in those 10 days, too.

I think anyone who is planning on going to law school would be foolish not to take some time to decompress over the summer -- however you do that. After this trip I'll probably work for a few more months before my last "hurrah" vacation -- hopefully a trip to Cabo, where my family has a home and my grandmother lives. That way I'll be able to move to Dallas calm, cool, collected, and VERY tan! Sure, I'll be stressed within a month of starting school, but why be more stressed than I need to?

So, what are your vacation plans this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment