Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's Official -- Pony Up!

All right, so if you follow me on LSN or are familiar with my posts on TLS, or are friends with me IRL and thus on Facebook and Twitter, then you know by now, but for the lurkers out there, I just wanted to say that it's official: I'll be starting as a 1L in August at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX.

WOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

My cycle is officially over, and that is SUCH a great feeling. Seriously, the weight on my shoulders has been lifted. Not only do I not have to worry about getting in anywhere anymore (which was my main stressor from, oh, October of 2008 through December of 2010), but I don't have to worry about any of the schools I still haven't heard from, or have that crazy nightmare about the admissions office at a given school calling me and saying, "Oh, I'm so sorry, there's been a HUGE mistake..."

(I seriously had that nightmare at least 3 times.)

There's not just one reason for my decision, so I'll list some of the factors that went into my final decision to attend SMU:
  • Scholarship offer of $21,557 per year, with easy stips
  • Ranking in the T1
  • Comparatively GREAT employments statistics
  • Location (the legal market in Dallas is better than a lot of other places, and Dallas is so much fun, and everyone in Texas is really nice!)
  • Vibe of student attitude and quality of life during my campus visit
  • Campus visit (see, I told you it was important!!)
I was so impressed by the campus and the academics and the general friendliness of the students, and I enjoyed the ASD program so much, that I went ahead and paid my deposit there on the spot, in the middle of the campus tour.

Lying in my hotel room in Dallas the night before I was supposed to leave, I had about thirty seconds of serious buyer's remorse and major anxiety. I offered up a small word of prayer, and you know what? This sense of peace and calmness stole over me, and I was able to go right to sleep. And I haven't felt a second's hesitation since. I know that I'm for sure going to be in the right place come mid-August.

So now begins the process of getting all my loose ends tied up -- sending in my transcripts and medical records, finding a place to live, deciding whether I want to sell my car here and buy one there, etc... I'll keep updating on (close to) every step of the way, but I'm definitely STOKED to be starting this new phase of my journey to and through law school.

YAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment