Monday, August 29, 2011

Moving Sure Takes a Lot Out of a Girl (Part 2)

Okay, so where was I? Oh yeah...the car.

Anyway, after we made the decision to ship me my car from high school, my dad left me in my new, half-set-up apartment with no cable, no internet, and no company. :( Luckily, my bestie decided that he had enough time on his drive from Lubbock to Austin to stop by my place for a few days.

Let me tell you, I put him to work. He mounted my bookshelf, fixed a few things in my bathroom, and was my general handyman for the short time he was here. Don't worry, I cooked for him, so it was a fair trade. Then he took me to my first ever Ranger game (I love me some baseball!) where I got this:



Apparently, Texas is delicious!

I digress. After my friend left, I didn't have too much time to be lonely. The next night I met a few of my future class mates uptown for a vigorous and fun round of pub golf. Then I had a day or two to recover and get everything ready for orientation to start.

While my apartment still isn't 100% done done done, it's very close, and that's awesome -- I have three more bankers boxes full of miscellaneous crap before I can consider myself done. I have all of the furniture I need in my apartment and set up, and a lot of the general furnishings and decorations done too.

I found a couple of old steamer trunks, one which just happened to be slate blue, to stack and make into a coffee table to match my slate blue patterned couch. I bought a blender, toaster, coffee maker, george foreman, and Brita pitcher to round out my kitchen, and found a big parson's desk that had been painted white on CL to finish off my study. I also went a little nuts at Ikea, and bought a huge TV on CL, too -- I don't think I realized how big 47 inches was.

Let me tell you: it's too big to take up three looooong flights of stairs by yourself.

Now that a majority of the big stuff has gotten done, I'm in the process of buying/acquiring/crafting wall hangings and other little kitschy things to put into the nooks and crannies of the apartment, so it doesn't look so spartan/dorm-like. Overall, it's going well, and my place is turning into a relaxing place that I can come home to and enjoy, but also have a dedicated place to do my reading and work (and not have to camp out at the library like I'm sure a lot of other 1Ls are doing).

Now, I think I'm caught up through orientation. Next time I have a few minutes to spare I'll give you all an inside glimpse at how scintillating (or not) SMU's 1L orientation can be!

1 comment:

  1. Which car shipping company did you use?

    ReplyDelete