Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Synopsis of SMU Orientation

Before I go through and describe my two days at orientation, I wanted to share this beautiful work of art, drawn by a fellow 1L, that I feel very accurately describes everything we learned at the first day of orientation.


We've got there a story that Dean Camp told about crossing the street to buy a kite (the ending depicted in the drawing was much more dramatic than the ending to the real story). There's a drawing describing the average cost of the books for your 1L. Also, she's included an interpretation of all law students hitting the wall, which, we learned, was inevitable in 1L.

Lastly, we have Dean Attanasio, the first (and absolutely most important) speaker, who mentioned -- no fewer than seven times -- the fact that SMU is comparable to, if not better than, Harvard.

That's right. Harvard. Just think about that (and then give SMU your money).

3 comments:

  1. could you share some of his reasoning behind that claim that SMU is better than Harvard ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, i didn't take any of it seriously enough to remember it. I'm pretty sure he was referencing the fact that we have more Fortune 500 CEOs and just as many billionaires...? Plus we have a similar selectivity rating, and our quality of life is better...?

    my referencing it here (and my friend referencing it in her drawing) was facetious. just, you know, fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. right I got the facetious tone lol I was just wondering how someone would go about justifying something like that haha thanks though

    ReplyDelete