Monday, February 7, 2011

My Original Mission

My original mission with this blog was, among other things, to keep track of when I heard back from which law schools and what that method of communication was. I think the handiest site to do that is on LSN, because there are fields for every date that you can fill out, and then everything looks nice and neat.

Unfortunately, there is only one field for any sort of narrative, and it's just not the best laid out format for my slightly OCD, symmetry-loving brain to enjoy. I'll continue to update on LSN for the people on that website -- a lot of people can use comparison dates from previous cycles to estimate when they might hear back from a particular school, etc. -- but I think I'll use this blog as more of a platform for remembering dates and methods.

So, without further ado, here is my timeline to date on hearing back from law school admissions offices:

11/3: Gearing up to get a majority of my applications out by Thanksgiving. Just made the 11/1 cut off for Santa Clara EA. I kind of feel like if I apply everywhere then at least I'll get in somewhere.

11/17: Almost all my applications are out. I sent fee waiver requests to almost everywhere I wanted to apply, and got almost all of them. Saved some $$.

11/23: Associate Dean at U Ark called to discuss my application today, wanted me to submit a supplemental "Why Arkansas" essay. Okay!

11/29: USC Status Checker updated to Decision Letter Sent.

12/1: Accepted at Akron via phone call. I'm counting my first decision as an acceptance, because I haven't gotten the USC letter yet! YAY!

12/2: DePaul Status Checker updated to Decision Rendered. Should hear from them in the next few hours. 12 HOURS LATER: In at DePaul via Status Checker!

12/3: Letter (small envelope) in the mail from South Carolina...I'm in!!

12/9: Decision Rendered and Letter Mailed at UK. It looks like (from TLS updates) I might be out. First rejection = harsh.

12/13: Decision rendered at Ole Miss, letter in the mail (according to an email I got this morning). LATER: I guess they sent it out last week, because I got the letter this afternoon. Dinged at Ole Miss and UK via snail mail.

12/14: AHHH!!! Still says "In Committee" on my SCU status checker, but I have a "Decision Letter Mailed" under my mailings. I'll be on pins and needles until it gets here!!!

12/16: My letter hasn't arrived yet, but...I'M IN AT SANTA CLARA! Yay, secret top choice!! (I didn't want to jinx it). Also, got an email today from Marquette saying that I should have received my acceptance by now. Well, that's good news. In at Marquette PT.

12/17: Sent my supplements to UArk, got an email from the dean saying my acceptance letter would be mailed out next week. In at UArk - Fayetteville. Also: got my letter and scholarship offer from SCU - $15,500!

12/20: Letter received from UArk. $4,000 per semester (weirdest way I've seen scholarships described).

12/23: Merry Christmas to me from Whittier! In via email today! Got a second email asking me to call them to discuss my interest in Whittier for consideration for a merit scholarship. Odd.

12/30: Didn't check any of my status checkers at all over the last week (how liberating). Checked today -- in at Phoenix as of 12/23.

12/31: Email from Whittier Financial Aid...$26k for the first year, with a weird tiered requirement for finaid for all following years (top 5% get full ride, top 10% get 3/4 etc.)

1/10: Haven't been checking status checkers at all in the last week. Dinged at Texas Tech (surprised) via small envelope, Case Western by email today.

1/16: Emailed just before midnight (PST) on a Sunday -- in at UALR.

1/20: Decision Rendered at Western State. Based on new "requirements" and "tuition deposit" sections, I'm pretty sure I'm in. LATER: IN at Western State via phone call.

1/21: In at Cal Western via small envelope. In at Dayton via phone call.

1/24: Waitlisted at Wake via email and status checker. "Hold for further Review" at Campbell, but they said specifically that it's not a WL, so I don't know how to qualify it. Scholarship offer(s) from UALR - In-State Tuition ($11.6k) PLUS an $18k merit scholarship...WOW!

1/31: In at SMU via status checker!!! According to TLS, people who called got news that admit packages will contain $$ info, and will come in next week.

2/4: Scholarship offer from Cal Western today via mail. $15k per year, contingent on keeping GPA above 80% (3.0). Scholarship offer from Thomas Jefferson, too...$20k per year, contingent on staying in top 30%.

2/6: Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Will probably withdraw from Marquette, Thomas Jefferson, Phoenix, Western State, and maybe one or two more in the upcoming week.

2/7: In at STCL via email.


I'll attempt to update more regularly on this site (with more information) every time I hear back from a particular school.

No comments:

Post a Comment