Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Withdrawing from Law Schools

I always feel bad withdrawing from law schools. And I feel anxious.

On the one hand, I feel like I shouldn't withdraw, I should wait as late as possible to see if I can squeeze any more money out of them or something. On the other, I know that if I was waitlisted somewhere I would want people to withdraw earlier rather than later, so that I could move up the waitlist more quickly.

But, I always feel like calling or writing to a law school and telling them that you're not going to be attending is basically like saying, "You're SO not worth my time and money." They were nice enough to admit me, why do I have to be so mean?

I know that this is a completely neurotic way to feel...the school would rather know I'm NOT going than just be in limbo until the deadline for deposits passes.

Looking back on my cycle, I definitely applied to way too many schools. And sometimes I catch myself wanting to apply to a few more still! Applications are like an addiction for me. So I've gone cold turkey. AND I've decided I'm going to take it a step further. Every week I will withdraw from one school that I know I wouldn't want to attend in light of my other applications.

But this week counts for three weeks, since I withdrew from three schools, RIGHT?

(PS - I withdrew from Thomas Jefferson and Phoenix in addition to Penn State. I applied there when I thought I was literally not going to get in ANYWHERE.)

1 comment:

  1. I can't bring myself to admitting i'm withdrawing, either. I put down deposits at 2 schools, but then decided to retake the LSAT and reapply next year as I rushed through this year's application cycle. Now, I can't find the words to tell them, I don't want to attend their schools after all. Especially considering, I may even reapply for admission next year. =/

    ReplyDelete