Friday, February 11, 2011

A Rejection, a Withdrawal, and a Scholarship

So today I had decided to withdraw from two more schools - Dayton (after receiving my $11k/year scholarship offer) and Samford (they were taking FOREVER and I've gotten in to way better schools with money in more desirable locations). Samford, however, beat me to the punch.

I got an email this morning informing me that, despite careful consideration and an impressive application, they couldn't offer me a seat in their upcoming class. Ouch.

Honestly, I wouldn't have gone. I didn't want to be in Alabama and I don't want to go to an expensive TTT school. But I can't say it didn't sting a bit. It's like knowing that you want to dump someone and then they do it first. All you can do is sputter, "But...but...I was going to break up with YOU!" It just sounds pathetic. And no one ever believes it. They just say, "of course you were, sweetie. Need another drink?"

The only thing I can think of, even with my less than stellar GPA, is that they MUST have been yield protecting. Knowing that I wouldn't go, they preemptively rejected me so that their numbers would look better to the USNWR people.

Conceited, I know. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And, because I just got burned preemptively, I decided to make a preemptive move of my own -- I withdrew from University of Iowa as well. It was a reach school that I only applied to because I got a fee waiver. It's unlikely that I would have gotten in, and even if I had there wouldn't have been enough money to get me to move to Iowa (hear my rationalizing? I'm a brilliant rationalizer). But it's one less status checker to obsess over. And that's good.

In other (better) news, I got my admit package from SMU Dedman today. It's really impressive! And the best part about it is that it included scholarship offer -- months ahead of last year's schedule! And I got $21,557/year contingent upon remaining in good standing!

Dedman is still expensive. Suuuper pricey, actually. But when you take in the COL, the total estimated COA is only about $1,000 more expensive than Santa Clara. And I got more money at SMU.

Maybe Santa Clara will work with me on the scholarship? At least now I have leverage to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment