Tuesday, June 14, 2011

0L Preparation: Hanging with the Fam-Bam

When I was in undergrad in Ohio, I pretty much saw my family every 8 weeks or so. I went to school at the end of August, saw my parents in the beginning of October for Parent's Weekend, came home at the end of November for 10 days of Thanksgiving, went back to school for a month before I got a month-long break at Christmas, had Spring break in mid-March, and was home for the summer by the second week of May.

This is not going to be the case while I'm in law school. There's no Parent's weekend, Thanksgiving break isn't 10 days long and I'll have other stuff to do during that time off, my winter break isn't as long either, and I may or may not come home for the summer. Taking in to consideration that all of my sisters are off doing their own thing too, and you'll come to the conclusion that this summer may very well be the last time that we'll all be able to get together for a while. And so I'm preparing for my drought of family time by doing some very family-centric things this week.

We're taking family portraits for the first time since I was in high school, we're going to our beach condo without our cell phones (ha! yeah right) in order to spend some time with each other without the temptation of running down to the office to tie up some loose ends, we're going to go see a play in LA (my dad and sister are obsessed with Les Mis, we've probably seen it 6 times at least!) and just generally enjoy each others' company.

I think that even though tempers might flare at one point or another during this upcoming week, the time that I spend with my family now is what will get me through some tough times during 1L. I'm sure I'll enjoy law school, but I'll always miss my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment