Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Reading List for the Summer

I only have 52 days before the big move, and I'm using this time not only to work, but also to tie up any loose ends I have here in my hometown, get my shiz packed and ready to go, hang out with friends, and generally relax and have fun.

The way I relax? I read. Trashy romance novels, young adult science fiction, historical fiction, you name it. And I've got a pretty extensive list of things I need to read before I head to Dallas. Well, before school starts, anyway. I'm going to have two weeks in Dallas to acquaint my self with the area, set up my new digs, and (hopefully) see one of my oldest friends graduate from Tech.

Yeah, he's just now graduating. He's on the Van Wilder college plan.

ANYWAY, here's a small sample of the things I'm going to attempt to read before the end of my summer. I'm going to try my hardest to stay away from the romance novels, since I can read those in a few hours and have already read most of the ones in my house. I can always reread my favorites on my (limited) down time once 1L starts as a way to de-stress.

Just Like Heaven (Julia Quinn)
My Life in France (Julia Child)
The Botticelli Secret (Marina Fiorato)
Bitch-Proof Suit (De-Ann Black)
The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova) -- I've been working on this one for FOREVER. So close to done.
House of Abraham: Lincoln and the Todds (Stephen Berry)
Heaven is for Real (Todd Burpo)
Game of Thrones series (George R. Martin)
Bossypants (Tina Fey)
The Romanovs: The Final Chapter (Robert K. Massie)
The Lost Symbol (Dan Brown)
A Year in the World (Frances Mayes)
Debutante Divorcee (Plum Sykes)
Summer at Tiffany (Marjorie Hart)
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson) -- late to the game, I know.
Day of Infamy (Newt Gingrich)
Thanks for the Memories (Cecilia Ahern)

I also want to reread a few of my favorite sci-fi series. I already reread all 7 of the Harry Potter books last month, and I'm done rereading the Hunger Games, so I want to start in on Catching Fire and Mockingjay, and finish up the summer with my very favorite series, The Belgariad (and the sequel series, The Mallorean). If you're at all fond of the Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Uglies genre, you should DEFINITELY read these series. I think there are 10 books in total, 5 in each series, and they're very very very good. The author is David Eddings.

So, does anyone have any must-reads that I should pick up over the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment