Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer is an Uncertain Entity

One of the bummers about signing a lease for an apartment in a new city where you're going to be going to law school is that you don't know exactly how long your lease term should be. While everyone in 1L takes the same subjects and reviews the same cases, not everyone has the same opportunities for summer employment, and that employment is what will dictate where you live during May, June, July and half of August.

So the predicament that a lot of law students find themselves in is in deciding how long of a lease term they should sign to. 10 months? 12 months? A lot of times you'll get a price break for a longer (12 month) lease, but the practicality of a 10 month lease is appealing.

I don't have the luxury of making that decision at this point. The apartment that I'll most likely be signing for is a 12 month lease...I didn't have the option of making it a 10 month with an option to renew. Luckily I was able to get the option to sublease the apartment should I be unable to live there for all 12 months.

Ideally I'll get a paying 1L summer gig at a biglaw (market paying) firm in Dallas. Realistically? Those positions are few and far between, and it is more than likely that I'll either have to move back to my hometown and work at a mid-law (but still paying) gig here where I have ties, or work/clerk for free in Dallas over the summer. Either way I'll have to continue paying rent through the summer, so if I do move home for those months I'll definitely need to sublet my place in order to afford it.

Siiiiiiiigh. The trials and tribulations of being a grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment