Thursday, June 30, 2011

All Comedians Go to Heaven

All comedians MUST go to Heaven. How else would God have developed such a wicked sense of humor?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been looking at the transportation options that I have for the coming year. Buy a new car? Buy a used car? Keep my own car? Sell my car and let my dad give me the little truck to keep back there for a year or so?

Well, sometimes the decisions we think are ours to make get ripped from our little fingers.

Over the weekend I came to the decision that I was going to sell my car and use the money for moving expenses, then I was going to take our little truck to Texas with me and use it for a year or two. I'm probably not going to be driving all that often, and it might be handy to have a truck, even if it is a truck with manual windows and doors (and transmission). I've had a couple of unforseen expenses come up in my personal life in the last few weeks, and so I thought that might give my budget a little more wiggle room.

Today that plan went straight to hell in a hand basket.

You see, I've been predicting that my transmission on my Explorer was going to go out. But I'm a girl with no automobile knowledge, so my dad thought it was just me being fatalistic. Turns out it wasn't. I was reversing out of a parking spot yesterday (after lunch with my mom and dad, where we had discussed possibly just using my car to load up and move to Texas, since it wasn't going to be a daily driver any more), and my car just clunked, and all of a sudden being in reverse was like being in neutral.

Yep, my transmission went out. Estimated cost of a rebuild? $2200. Worth it? Nope, probably not.

So now I'm on my way to go shopping for a new car. At least I can get some trade-in value for it here. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. I just have to keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason.

RIP Dora the Explorer.

1 comment:

  1. As an FYI, this week the following things happened to my family:

    - Our air conditioning went out on a day where it was 104.
    - My car broke down.
    - A toilet rained on my dad. No, really.
    - My sister's fave shoes got eaten by a dog (not one of ours)
    - My other sister had her iPhone stolen on Capitol Hill.
    - After getting our air conditioning fixed (there was a leak), the AC compressor busted, which means a new $6k unit. It will be 108 this weekend.

    Really, we're all dyyyyying to make it to the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete