Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Speed of a Turtle

So it turns out that SMU's financial aid office moves at a turtle's pace! I submitted my FAFSA in mid-April and have yet to hear anything back. For the last two months SMU's Pony Tracks website has shown my FinAid Application to be at "Step 3 - Under Review" with a note saying to check back after June 15 for an update.

Guess what? It's after June 15th. And I have no update yet.

So today I called the FinAid office. I don't know who I spoke to, I would assume it was a student worker but I really couldn't tell you. I just asked when I could expect my award and he put me on hold for about two minutes while he checked with someone else in the office. When he came back he said that I should know by the end of the month, or the end of the first week of July at the latest.

That's in a week, possibly two. You know how they say "trust but verify"? Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for a FinAid award before mid- to late-July. Siiiiiiiiiiigh.

Luckily I've taken care of every single other piece of paper work involved in getting my student loans, so as soon as I get the award from SMU and accept my loan amounts then I should be golden. The guy I talked to on the phone said I would have my loan disbursed before school started, so I'll be able to pay tuition and get books and all of that fun stuff.

Once again, we'll see. My friend didn't get his loan disbursement at Tech until 5 or 6 weeks in to the semester. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment