Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Taking a New Approach to Apartment Hunting

So, after careful consideration of several different factors, it was my intent to sign a lease at Cambridge Apartments in Dallas. The area seemed nice enough, the leasing agents were all very helpful, it was in my price range, and there was a one-bedroom unit available.

Unfortunately, my intent meant very little when it came to actually signing a lease. In fact, I never even saw a lease. At the last minute the one-bedroom became no longer available, and that was a bummer.

So I started looking again, this time slightly more panicked (as we're getting closer and closer to my moving date). I widened my net, so to speak, to take in apartments in more locations and at a higher budget. And my belief that when God closes a door he opens a window was completely reaffirmed.

I found a new place that I'm signing a lease on this week, and I'm stoked. It's a 2/1 unit literally right across the street from the law school. Now, I wasn't looking for a 2 bedroom, but I was looking at the floor plan and it looks like this unit will be ideal because I'll be able to have a study area, which sure beats doing my work at my kitchen table. (My dad suggested turning the extra bedroom into a closet. He knows me so well!)

However, there are pros and cons to every situation.

In this instance, I'll be paying a premium for the extra room and convenience in proximity to the law school. After all is said and done, my rent + utilities will be about $200-$250 per month higher than if I had rented at Cambridge. However, I think that not really having to drive anywhere and being in an incredibly safe neighborhood will be worth it in the end.

I'm only worried that really I might not be far enough away from campus. I know that sounds ridiculous. Living so close will be awesome during the school year, but what about finals time? I feel like the stress I will feel on campus (that I could normally get away from if I chose to live somewhere a little more removed from campus) will be just hanging over me all of the time if I'm that close to the source of my stress.

I guess we'll just have to see, won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment