Friday, June 3, 2011

Moving 1200 Miles = Good Time to De-Clutter

So, since it's summer - and by "summer" I mean the summer before law school - I've started working more often than not on my own schedule. I still have just as much to get done, but I'm lucky enough that I'm able to do it from home (or really anywhere that I have the internet and a phone), or at weird times. And so I've been able to get a lot more done on my time "off."

One thing that I've been working on this week is de-cluttering my life. I am a saver, a clothes horse, and a bibliophile, so I tend to have quite a lot of stuff packed into not so much room.

When I packed up my life the first time, in 2005 after graduating high school, I threw away a lot, took a majority, and stored some stuff in my parents' garage. Then when I packed up my life the second time, in 2009 to move back from college, I threw/gave away most of what I owned, but still managed to fill a Ford Explorer so full that I had to rely on just my side mirrors during my 32 hour, cross-country trip.

This time around, I'm trying to get rid of as much stuff as possible before the big move. I have learned over the years that the only way to pick over your closet thoroughly is to evaluate your full wardrobe as often as possible. If you're just going through things once a year, you'll never get rid of anything, because you'll always think, "Oh, I might wear this." You've got to be critical of your closet at least once a week for a month to be able to truly let go of the things you'll never wear.

At least, you do if you're me.

So, for the last month I've been organizing and reorganizing my closet, trying to get rid of as much junk as possible. I've had quite a few, "what was I thinking," moments, but on the whole I think I'm much happier now that I've gotten rid of three contractors bags full of clothing, and one full of shoes (what can I say? I have a big closet). PLUS there are always lots of good causes looking for new or gently used clothing donations. Personally, I donated my clothes to Teen Challenge. Often the kids that go to Teen Challenge have only one set of clothing to make it through the whole program, so it feels good to donate clothes to the people who will need them and appreciate them the most.

After attacking my current closet, my attention shifted to the garage. When I moved to Ohio I left a shelving unit full of stuff that I was sure I was going to need someday in the garage. Now I know why my dad rolled his eyes. I have not even thought about the stuff in the garage more than a handful of times, and out of the twelve or so bankers boxes I've left, I've probably "needed" one. So I went out there and pitched pretty much everything.

It felt good.

So, if you're planning to make a move farther than a 2 hour drive for law school, do yourself a favor. Attack your clutter early. You really don't want to get down to the final week at home and still have to worry about getting rid of half of your worldly possessions. It will make the remaining time you have with your family and friends more stressful. Start going through your clothes, books, knick knacks, and furniture now, selling what you can, donating anything that's left over, and generally de-cluttering (and thereby de-stressing) your life.

You won't need all of that stuff in law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment